Monday 8 November 2010

Market Day

Steve went to the weekly market just outside the walls today. He went on his bicycle as did a few other people.

Bicycle park atTaroudant market 7.11.10

It meant the square was even busier than usual. A magician drew some of the crowd away from the storyteller but the snake charmer was unwatched.


A magician performs in the square


Fresh produce comes in from the countryside whether by the lorry load, a few vegetables brought by a woman or a donkey cart.
Produce arriving by donkey cart - the carrots were huge

It is the tradition that  one cannot stop telling Mullah Nasruddin stories until seven have been told. Here is the second:-

Every week Nasruddin arrived at market with an excellent donkey which he sold.The price was always very low below the value of the animal.
A wealthy donkey-trader approached him.
"I do not understand how you do it.My servants force farmers to give me free fodder; my slaves look after the donkeys without payment; and yet I cannot match your prices."
"Quite simple" Nasruddin replied. "You steal fodder and labour. I merely steal donkeys."

No comments:

Post a Comment