Wednesday 13 March 2019

More Stone Age Carvings



I was unwell after our trip to Akka as I had  deliberately let myself get dehydrated because of the lack of toilet facilities. I paid the penalty overnight and was left in a darkened room whilst Beloved went with a younger guide to see some other carvings only 23km west of Icht at Ait Herbil. He said it was just as well I didn't go as it was very scrambly and I wouldn't have managed the climbs but at least they were accessible from an asphalt road. 



These carvings are clearly not as old as those near Akka and are not deeply  incised into the rock so are in some instances less easy to see. They are more like the engravings of goats  so may be 3.000 years old or perhaps even more recent. .In that regard they are more like the Anazani petroglyphs near Alberquerque.



They also reflect a change in the climate from rhinoceros friendly swampland in the the most common animals depicted are cows.





I was also struck by the occurrence of the spiral symbol which is found at Aberquerque and New Grange but also in New Zealand, Ausralia,, South America, Scandinavia, the Balkans and the Far east.







No comments:

Post a Comment