Wednesday 15 May 2013

A Tale of Two Bridges



The main bridge out of Taroudant  has been out of comission since the floods which I thought were in 2010 but a correspondent has reminded me were 2009. They have been painstakingly building a replacement which has been impossible to document through photographs because you could not stop the car on the deviation across the riverbed. It was finished this winter and looks very swish with an opening commemoration plaque, sadly inscribed only in arabic without  french and tashalet equivalents. It is still impossible to photograph because the townside approaches by a long causeway with no stopping or indeed anywhere to do so. The otherside approaching the roundabout and new petrol station/cafe/restaurant complex seems to have become a permanent police vehicles stop. They obviously enjoy the proximity to the restaurant and there are always six or seven on duty which is double the usual quota. We've never been pulled over but their presence has discouraged me from taking tourist pictures.



And the other bridge of the title has been noticeable by its absence and a great nuisance at that. Last monday i was innocently having my breakfast bread and cheese when my bridge came out divesting me of my three front teeth. We managed to find a dentist in Agadir the same day and I had 5 sessions with her last week and one yesterday and another tomorrow and then she assures me my permanent bridge will be ready Monday or Tuesday well in time for my return to Britain next Saturday. I had been a little concerned as to the modernity of moroccan dentists, some have gruesome tooth signs suggesting they are little more than tooth drawers but was reassured that the dentist we found was on the same road as our notaire and architect suggesting an area  of modern professionals. In fact Beloved assures me that everything is more modern than our british dentist's. I wouldn't really know as I decied that the best thing was just to keep my eyes shut and my mouth open. I have decided that there is an advantage in having limited shared language with you dentist,(a sort of pidgin mix of french and english) as they feel no duty to tell you in frightening detail and scarily "reassuring" tones exactly what they intend to do and how little it will hurt, but just get on with it.
Anyway the upshot is I have nothing to blog about now or over summer except about dentists and Beloved's planned trip to the Sahara has been ditched in favour of endless trips to Agadir and paying for teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment