Monday 10 December 2012

Taliouine Saffron Fair



We went to Taliouine to buy saffron and purely by chance it was the Saffron Fair at the end of the harvest. The House of Saffron which is usually deserted was quite busy and offering saffron tea which I declined because of the sugar content. Behind on the fairground there were stalls erected and behind there was a stage and seating presumably for concerts or performances. About half the stalls were selling saffron, the others sold a mixture of other agricultural products and handicrafts. Some were fromTaroudant; the Argan co-operatives and babouche makers. There were olive oil vendors and several date stalls. I bought some rose potpourri from El Gounaa. One of the Babouche sellers got quite indignant when I said we lived in Taroudant in winter saying he hadn't seen me. Oh well, there  only several 10s of thousands live here ,I can't expect to stand out from the crowd. 




No comments:

Post a Comment